Our motorcycle weekend to discover the famous “Eroica® 2018 L’Eroica. All rights reserved.”, the dirt road where many cyclists now compete with their vintage bikes, started on Friday morning from Arezzo, which is always worth a visit and passes through the small village of Loro Ciuffenna.
Saturday morning, after about half an hour of curves we reached Gaiole in Chianti, the real start of the heroic, even if the starting points are multiple. The routes are different, they can be consulted on Eroica® website. It is a white road, well maintained and easily accessible. You don’t necessarily need dirt tires (a friend did it with a CBR …).
Why do it? Because it will leave you with your mouth wide open. The views are incredible, nature will enter your nostrils and warm your heart. The sense of peace that one draws from it to every path passes between the vineyards and the Crete Senesi. Moreover, in the same lands, there is also the street of castles, very numerous. The route is all well signposted. The main stages, according to the permanent route table, are:
- Castello di Brolio, that with the climb among the cypresses, the passage under the walls of the Castle and the descent on panoramas and breathtaking vineyards, represent one of the most fascinating passages of the route;
- Siena, with the Duomo and Piazza del Campo in the historic center;
- the route between Colle Malamerenda and Radi, nestled in the rolling Sienese hills among farmhouses, historic hamlets, weaving your path with the Via Francigena;
- still in Val d’Arbia, the small village of Murlo;
- the stretch from Bibbiano to Castiglion del Bosco and the panoramic hills of Brunello di Montalcino wine production;
- Montalcino, city of honey and oil is also a delightful village which deserves a visit, also to admire the beautiful panoramas that open onto the Val d’Orcia;
- Lucignano d’Asso, where you can have a rest with a typical Tuscan snack;
- the Crete Senesi with the characteristic calanchi and biancane. This part of the route includes the stretch of white road of Monte Santa Maria that will take you back to Chianti;
- Castelnuovo Berardenga, the town on the border with the Crete Senesi;
- the road that goes up towards Vagliagli and then Radda in Chianti is an alternation of vineyards and woods before the last, unforgettable descent towards Gaiole in Chianti, passing by the perfect village of Vertine.